A Better Community For All (ABC4All)
Principles of a Better Community for All
What makes for A Better Community For All (ABC4All)? The answer, always, is determined by the person who attempting to respond.
ABC4All, a new entity in the world, is described here:
Some underlying principles define ABC4All. ABC4All Founder, Burton Danet, Ph.D., in his former role as clinical psychologist, psychotherapist and psychoanalyst created a set of “Personal Psychotherapuetic Principles:” (Comprehensive Psychotherapy, Vol. 2, Gordon & Breach, 1981.). The essence of the principles was to allow the other person working with the therapist in a clinical setting to reach self-determination rather than imposing external influences that may or may not be relevant to the individual. It was stated (p. 8) that,
“In the end, after all the books are read, and after all the seminars are had, every therapist finds himself alone, in a room with another human being. What happens from that point on clearly is up to the two individuals who come together in this fashion. The therapist’s contribution, it is felt, is much more influenced by his own personality and style than it is by whatever formal learning has taken place.”
So, too, is a community’s character influenced by the personalities of the residents. Each individual will have a unique answer to the question, “What would make YOUR personal community better for all?”
The collective answer to the question, however, can become manifest in a community. ABC4All works with concepts to assist communities to improve. An example follows with a description of assumptions involved.
Community Health, Exercise and Nutrition for All (CHEN4All) represents a collaborative effort by Huck-Fin Environmental Education (HFEE) http://www.huck-fin.com and A Better Community For All (ABC4All) http://ABC4All.net. The Mission of CHEN4All is described here: http://ABC4All.net/chen4all.htm.
The purpose of CHEN4All includes a focus that can assist in overall improvement of a community. Attempts are made to focus on unhealthy habit patterns and to help the community strive towards improved health both for individuals and for the community at large:
OVERCOMING HEALTH CHALLENGES
CHEN4All represents a mandated response to overwhelming community needs that have not been able to be addressed and that include what is termed, “globesity.”
HEALTH IS WEALTH
It is no longer acceptable that only a few among us emphasize healthier lifestyle patterns. Health is wealth. We are what we eat. How healthy can we be? Can you join the CHEN4All Challenge and find out?
With the above in mind, the following are stated as the underlying principles which govern all activity generated by ABC4All, including participation as collaborator for CHEN4All:
1. ABC4All works with constructive influences within a community.
2. ABC4All does not discipline others.
3. ABC4All does not seek to set laws.
4. ABC4All does not confront or challenge existing political, religious or other influences.
5. ABC4All presents opportunity where none existed before rather than attempting to change negative influences.
6. ABC4All seeks to screen, research and then offer information void of potentially harmful ingredients which, when shared with others can lead to health improvement(s) for individuals, groups and the community at large.
7. ABC4All engages with people with the understanding there is an inherent desire to work towards self-determination and improvement in living.
8. ABC4All operates in physical settings where no alcohol or drugs are consumed. Alcohol, for example, is known to kill brain cells. Such habit-forming substances are known to be harmful to humans and create influences over behavior rather than individuals determining their own behavior.
9. ABC4All seeks to assist individuals, groups and the entire community to reach self-determination and therefore improved lifestyles.
10. ABC4All operates with the assumption that with improved lifestyles,
persons will be more inclined to continue efforts towards self-
determination and will better care for themselves and others.
11. ABC4All, finally, assumes that, with increased self-determination of
individuals, there will be carryover into the community at large that
also will become healthier, with a resultant increase in the
prevalence of constructive societal trends.